Published Friday, June 12, 2020 10:30AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, June 12, 2020 4:57PM EDT
The Ministry of Health says that there were 182 new instances of the virus confirmed on Thursday, which is the lowest number since March 28.
The rolling five-day average of new cases over the last week now stands at 222.
That is compared to the five-day average of 377 new cases that the province saw last week (June 1-5).
Perhaps most encouragingly, the decline in new cases also comes as the province continues to up its testing capacity.
The province’s labs turned around a record 28,335 tests on Thursday. That is about a 16 per cent increase from then-record 24,341 tests that were completed one day prior.
At one point last month the daily testing number had dropped as low as 5,813, prompting the province to release a detailed testing strategy that focuses on targeting groups that are thought to be at a higher risk of infection.
“We have seen numbers go down and spike up but these are pretty low,” Premier Doug Ford said during a press conference at Queen’s Park on Friday afternoon. “I have to admit. These are really positive numbers. But we can’t let our guard down for a second.”