Updated 6:42 a.m. ET, June 17, 2020
- More than 8.1 million cases of novel coronavirus have been confirmed worldwide, including at least 444,000 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.
- Fears of second spikes from China to Germany, as new cases force renewed lockdown measures.
- A preliminary study in the UK has found that a widely available steroid drug dexamethasone may be key in helping to treat the sickest Covid-19 patients, in what some are calling a "ground-breaking" find.
- Sport returns as the English Premier League ends its 100-day hiatus.
- More than 2.1 million Covid-19 cases have been recorded in the US, including at least 116,000 deaths.