Published Saturday, July 18, 2020 2:30PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, July 18, 2020 9:05PM EDT
They just don't know what the plan is yet.
“I'm 100 per cent confident we'll have clarity in the next couple days,” Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro said Saturday in a conference call hours after the federal government rejected the club's plan to use their home stadium, citing concerns about the back-and-forth travel over the United States border.
Before the federal government's decision the Blue Jays said their spring-training facility in Dunedin, Fla., was their most likely venue for games if they couldn't play in Toronto.
However, COVID-19 has hit Florida hard in recent weeks, with some calling the state the new epicentre of the virus.
The Buffalo News reported last week that the Blue Jays have reached out to the owners of their triple-A team in Buffalo, N.Y., to discuss the possible use of Sahlen Field.
Shapiro said both options are currently on the table, as well as the idea of looking elsewhere if need be.
Dunedin is “100 per cent seemless, ready to go,” in terms of facility. But player health challenges exist there.