April 19, 2020 at 7:56 a.m. EDT
Here are some significant developments:
- Aerial snapshots of people flocking to a reopened beach in Jacksonville, Fla., made waves on the Internet on Saturday, spurring #FloridaMorons to trend on Twitter.
- President Trump made inaccurate claims about the United States’ coronavirus testing in comparison to other countries during Saturday’s White House briefing, where he also complained at length about media coverage and criticism of his administration.
- Most states are shuttering schools through the academic year, even as they move to reopen their economies.
- The failure by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to quickly produce a test kit was triggered by a glaring scientific breakdown at a CDC laboratory complex.
- Concerns are rising in China over a potential new wave of covid-19 infections in a far northeastern province.
- Deaths in Spain surpassed 20,000, while a spike in cases pushes Japan’s emergency medical system to the brink.