Published Thursday, April 15, 2021 6:38AM EDT
1. New cases: Canada's seven-day average of new daily cases has reached its highest point of the pandemic, marking a grim milestone amid the country’s third wave.
2. 'Safe and effective': The federal procurement minister says the government will welcome the millions of Johnson & Johnson doses they've already purchased, so long as Health Canada deems that vaccine safe and effective for use.
3. Vaccine hoarding: As frustration in Canada grows over a slow vaccine rollout, there are countries around the world that have yet to administer a single dose.
4. Opioid crisis: As British Columbia marks five years since declaring the opioid crisis a public health emergency, those who've been on the frontlines since the beginning warn things are only getting worse.
5. Mental health: The latest round of pandemic closures and restrictions in provinces across Canada is continuing to put children’s mental health at risk, experts say, with many students attending school virtually and having limited access to extracurricular activities.